Author's Note: What if there were no stars?
As I researched,I was surprised to learn how a darkened night sky could have produced a drastically different modern-day world. It makes me wonder what other small changes might have completely altered history. For those interested, Kim Stanley Robinson's novel "The Years of Rice and Salt" is a highly recommended alternate history of the Silk Road.
- Beckwith, Christopher. "Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present." Princeton University Press. 2009
- Gascoigne, Bamber. "History of the Calendar." HistoryWorld. From 2001, ongoing. (April 10, 2015) http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ac06
- Plait, Philip. "Under Alien Skies." Astronomy. Vol. 31, Issue 1. January 2003.
- Plait, Philip. "The Making of 'Under Alien Skies.'" Bad Astronomy. 2008. (April 10, 2015). http://www.badastronomy.com/media/inprint/underalienskies.html
- Rao, Joe. "Navigating by the Stars." Space.com. Sept. 19, 2008. (April 20, 2015) http://www.space.com/5849-navigating-stars.html