Author's Note: How Invasive Species Work
I got my first taste of what an alien species can do to the environment back in the mid-1980s when I worked in a one-person bureau for a daily newspaper in the Adirondacks of New York. One day Edmund Morette, one of the fish and game types who populated the area, walked into my office with a package wrapped in newspaper. He slammed the weighty paper on my desk and opened it. Inside was a 10-pound salmon. "Undie," I said, using his nickname, "what are you doing?" I was incredulous that he had brought a dead fish into my office. "Take a picture, John," he said, pointing to the suction marks on the salmon's body. Undie said a lamprey eel in Lake Champlain had taken hold of the fish and wouldn't let go. The eel killed the fish. I took the picture and spent the next several years writing about various invasive species that threatened the region.
- 5 Invasive Species That Might Conquer the World
- How Kudzu Works
- Do invasive species pollute the gene pools of other species?
- How does biodiversity help an ecosystem?
- Invasive Species: When Small Creatures Do Big Damage.
- Center for Invasive Species Research. "Invasive Species FAQs." (Aug. 20, 2014) http://cisr.ucr.edu/invasive_species_faqs.html#invasive%20species%20managed%20and%20controlled
- Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. (DEEP) "Emerald Ash Borer." (Aug. 20, 2014) http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2697&q=464598&deepNav_GID=1631%20#what
- Kaplan, Matt. "Alien birds may be last hope for Hawaiian Plants." Nature. Sept. 28, 2007. (Aug. 29, 2014) http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070928/full/news070924-12.html
- Keim, Brandon. "Ecologists: Time to End Invasive-Species Persecution." Wired.com. June 8, 2011. (Aug. 29, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2011/06/species-persecution/
- Kraft, Amy. "Five Ways to Stop Asian Carp." Popular Science. April 29, 2013. (Aug. 21, 2014) http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-04/five-ways-stop-asian-carp
- Lake George Association. "Eurasian Watermilfoil in Lake George." (Aug. 20, 2014) http://www.lakegeorgeassociation.org/what-we-do/Invasive-Species/Eurasian-Watermilfoil.asp
- National Wildlife Federation. "Invasive Species." (Aug. 20, 2014) http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildlife/Invasive-Species.aspx
- University of Kentucky. "Species Invasion." (Aug. 21, 2014) http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Forestry/conbio09/Lecture11.pdf
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. "The Cost of Invasive Species." January 2012. (Aug. 29, 2014)http://www.fws.gov/verobeach/PythonPDF/CostofInvasivesFactSheet.pdf