Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Allen, Arthur. "For the Good of the Herd." New York Times. Jan. 25, 2007. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/opinion/25allen.html?scp=2&sq=herd+immunity&st=nyt
- "History and Epidemiology of Global Smallpox Eradication." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/training/overview/pdf/eradicationhistory.pdf
- Hoffman, Jan. "Vaccinating Boys for Girls' Sake?" New York Times. Feb. 24, 2008. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/fashion/24virus.html?sq=herd%20immunity&st=nyt&scp=3&pagewanted=all
- John, T. Jacob and Reuben Samuel. "Herd immunity and herd effect: new insights and definitions." European Journal of Epidemiology. 2000.
- McKay, Betsy. "Chicken Pox Vaccine Cuts Cost for Hospital Care, Study Shows." Wall Street Journal. Sept. 7, 2004.
- McNeil, Donald G. Jr. "When Parents Say No To Child Vaccinations." New York Times. Nov. 30, 2002. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F00E3DB1038F933A05752C1A9649C8B63&scp=8&sq=herd+immunity&st=nyt
- PLoS Medicine. "When It Comes to Flue, the More Who Get Vaccine, the Better." Washington Post. Oct. 28, 2008. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/28/AR2008102801295.html
- Ulene, Valerie. "Vigilance with vaccines: The decision of some parents not to immunize their children raises the risk for everyone. If too many make the same choice, an outbreak of measles or mumps becomes possible." Los Angeles Times. Feb. 7, 2005.
- Wanjek, Christopher. "Vaccines Need a Shot in the Arm." LiveScience. Aug. 15, 2006. (Nov. 18, 2008)http://www.livescience.com/health/060815_bad_shots.html