Lots More Information
Author's Note: Who invented sports drinks?
In 2011, I went through marathon training with my running partner, Bill. He was training for the Chicago Marathon, but my goal was never to actually run 26.2 miles. I just wanted to see if my body could make it through the intense training program. We used the Hal Higdon Novice I program, and the longest run is 20 miles. As training ramps up, you do some serious distance. A 10 mile run starts to feel like no big deal when you're doing that much mileage or more a few times a week, but it was on that very first 10 mile run that I discovered I just could not drink enough water. It was the middle of summer and hot despite our early start times. I drank and drank and was still tired and thirsty. It was a terrible feeling!
After that first 10 miler, my partner talked to his dad -- a doctor and fellow distance runner -- who suggested that we start putting salt in our water bottles. On our next long run, Bill and I each put the tiniest pinch of salt into our water. The amount was so small that we couldn't even taste it, but the difference it made was huge. This time we were doing 12 miles, and it was just as hot outside, but that salty water kept my energy going!
I never used store-bought energy drinks during my marathon training time, but that salted water trick saved me. Bill's dad explained to us that you sweat out your salt stores in endurance exercise, and replacing that little bit helped our bodies hold on to the precious fluids they needed to get through the miles.
- Beverage Industry. "2012 State of the Industry: Sports Drinks." July 18, 2012. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://www.bevindustry.com/articles/85656-2012-state-of-the-industry--sports-drinks
- Blake, Joan Salge. "Should you be consuming sports drinks?" Boston.com. July 24, 2013. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/nutrition/2012/07/should_you_be_consuming_sports.html
- Brand Republic. "Superbrands Case Studies: Lucozade". (Feb. 25, 2013). http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/232378/Superbrands-case-studies-Lucozade/
- De Medeiros, James. "Is Coconut Water the Ultimate Sports Drink?" Men's Fitness. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/is-coconut-water-the-ultimate-sports-drink
- Edwards, Jim. "In Gatorade War, Pepsi Seems to Have Deliberately Given Up Market Share to Coke." Business Insider. Feb. 1, 2012. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-01/news/31011792_1_sale-gains-gatorade-share-gain
- Fitzgerald, Matt. "Know Your Sports Drinks." Competitor. October 20, 2009. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://running.competitor.com/2009/10/features/know-your-sports-drinks_6254
- Gordon, Mark. "Panning for patents." Business Observer. August 17, 2012. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://www.review.net/print/panning-for-patents/
- Good Morning America. "Sports Drinks: Winners and Losers." ABC. July 25, 2005. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=969246
- Hawkes, Steve. "Bye-Bena? Lucoze and Ribena for Sale." The Sun. Feb. 7, 2013. (Feb. 28, 2013). http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/4782800/Ribena-and-Lucozade-are-up-for-sale.html
- Kays, Joe. "Gatorade: The Idea that Launched an Industry." University of Florida Office of Research. 2003. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://www.research.ufl.edu/publications/explore/v08n1/gatorade.html
- Lucozade. "Understanding Lucozade Sport." (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.lucozade.com/about/understanding-lucozade-sport/
- Mayo, Jerry J. Ph.D., R.D. "Sports & Energy Drinks: Answers for Fitness Professionals." The University of New Mexico. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/sportsdrinksUNM.html
- MedlinePlus. "Electrolytes." September 20, 2011. (Feb. 20, 2013) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002350.htm
- PennState Hershey. "Traveler's diarrhea diet." Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. (Feb. 12, 2013) http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=117&pid=1&gid=002433
- Ward, Luke. "The History of Lucozade." The Fact Site. March 2009. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.thefactsite.com/2009/03/history-of-lucozade.html