Lots More Information
Formaldehyde is an odorless gas present in a ton of home stuff, cosmetics and car exhaust. Is it bad for us? HowStuffWorks breaks down the science.
Author's Note: 10 Performance-enhancing Drugs That Aren't Steroids
Once upon a time, when I considered trying out for high-school football, I tried to bulk up my scrawny, 100-pound frame by drinking a strange protein elixir poured from a can. The stuff was horrible, and I gave up. What's scary now is how many young athletes seem willing to take far more powerful drugs with little thought about the consequences.
- Aschwanden, Christie. "The Top Athletes Looking for an Edge and the Scientists Trying to Stop Them." Smithsonian. July/August 2012. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Top-Athletes-Looking-for-an-Edge-and-the-Scientists-Trying-to-Stop-Them-160284335.html
- Buchen, Lizzie. "Are COX-Blockers the New Steroids?" Discover Magazine. April 8, 2008. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/04/08/are-cox-blockers-the-new-steroids/
- Butcher, Pat. "Bromantan is Russians' 'rocket fuel'." The Independent. Aug. 3, 1996. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/bromantan-is-russians-rocket-fuel-1307987.html
- Calamia, Joseph. "EPO: A Doping Drug Makes an Unwanted Cycling Comeback." Discover Magazine. May 26, 2010. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2010/05/26/epo-a-performance-enhancing-drug-makes-an-unwanted-cycling-comeback/
- Elliott, Carl. "In Defense of the Beta Blocker." The Atlantic." August 2008. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/08/in-defense-of-the-beta-blocker/306961/#
- Kindermann, W. "Do inhaled beta(2)-agonists have an ergogenic potential in non-asthmatic competitive athletes?" Sports Medicine. 2007. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17241101
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Performance-enhancing drugs: Know the risks." Mayo Clinic. Dec. 23, 2010. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/performance-enhancing-drugs/HQ01105
- Ogbru, Omudhome. "Cox-2 Inhibitors." MedicineNet. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.medicinenet.com/cox-2_inhibitors/article.htm
- Prewitt, Alex. "Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for PED use." Boston.com. June 25, 2012. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/06/marlon_byrd_sus.html
- Shermer, Michael. "The Doping Dilemma." Scientific American. April 2008.
- Wright, Karen. "Works in Progress." Discover Magazine. Feb. 1, 2002. (Oct. 17, 2012) http://discovermagazine.com/2002/feb/featworks/?searchterm=performance%20enhancing%20drugs
- Zorpette, Glenn. "The Chemical Games." Scientific American Presents: The Athlete's Body. 2000.