10 Things You Should Never Mix With Alcohol

Morel Mushrooms
Despite all the medical warnings, morel mushrooms and wine are often served together. Jean Cazals/Getty Images

Morel mushrooms are sought after for their earthy taste and meaty texture. But like many varieties of mushroom, morels can cause allergic reactions or stomach upset for some people, especially if the mushrooms are undercooked or eaten raw [sources: Cascio and Johnson, MDCH]. Even those who are normally able to enjoy morels without any ill effects may find that consuming them with alcohol causes nausea or vomiting. Stranger still, a trouble-free experience with morels and alcohol in the past doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have an adverse reaction in the future.

Yet despite all these caveats, the wine-and-morels combo is lauded by many foodies. Wine Enthusiastmagazine describes morels as "very versatile," pairing well with both white and red wine, and a quick Internet search for "morels in wine sauce" yields dozens of recipes from reputable publications. Bottom line: If you're trying morels for the first time, or for the first time in a while, stick with nonalcoholic drinks and try just a small portion.