Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- JS Online: Device may be new pathway to the brain
- Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development: Form perception with a 49-point electrotactile stimulus array on the tongue: A technical note
- Seeing with Sound: The vOICe
- University of Wisconsin: Tongue Display Technology
- U.S. Patent #6,430,450: Tongue placed tactile output device
- Wicab, Inc.
- Bach-y-Rita, Paul et al. "Form perception with a 49-point electrotactile stimulus array on the tongue: A technical note." Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 1998. http://kaz.med.wisc.edu/Publications/1998-BachyRita-JRRD-Tongue.pdf
- Blakeslee, Sandra. "New Tools to Help Patients Reclaim Damaged Senses." New York Times, Nov. 23, 2004. http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041123/ZNYT05/411230391/1051/NEWS01
- Kaczmarek, Kurt, Ph.D. "Tongue Display Technology." University of Wisconsin, Aug. 18, 2005. http://kaz.med.wisc.edu/Publicity/Synopsis.html
- Kupers, Ron et al. "Activation of visual cortex by electrotactile stimulation of the tongue in early-blind subjects." Human Brain Mapping 2003. http://220.127.116.11/hbm2003/abstract/abstract1557.htm
- Manning, Joe. "Device may be new pathway to the brain." JS Online, Dec. 7, 2004. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=282145
- Phone interview with Kurt Kaczmarek, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, University of Wisconsin Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Medicine. July 7, 2006.
- Ptito, Maurice et al. "Cross-modal plasticity revealed by electrotactile stimulation of the tongue in the congenitally blind." Brain, 2005. http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/128/3/606
- U.S. Patent #6,430,450. "Tongue placed tactile output device."
- Wicab, Inc. http://www.wicab.com/
- "Wicab to present BrainPort at Boston conference." WTN News. Oct. 4, 2005. http://wistechnology.com/printarticle.php?id=2319