Lots More InformationRelated HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Floods Work
- 5 Most Destructive Storms
- How Hurricanes Work
- How Tsunamis Work
- How can a lake simply disappear?
- The Mississippi River
- Geography of the Netherlands
- "The Appealing River Landscape - Green Rivers." Royal Haskoning. (Aug. 1, 2008) http://www.royalhaskoning.com/Royal_Haskoning/water_and_environment/ en-GB/Projects/Spatial/The+Appealing+River+Landscape+-+Green+Rivers.htm?ref=1
- Dolfman, Michael L., Soldielle Fortier Wasser and Bruce Bergman. "The effects of Hurricane Katrina on the New Orleans economy." Monthly Labor Review. June 2007. (Aug. 1, 2008)http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2007/06/art1full.pdf
- Eliot, T.S. "Four Quartets." 1943.
- Gonzales, John Moreno. "Sign of Katrina Fatigue? Storm memorial delayed." Associated Press. July 12, 2008. (Aug. 4, 2008)
- Koenig, Robert L. "Managing our rivers: Flood control is coordinated south of Cairo." St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Aug. 29, 1993.
- Levin, Alan and Pete Eisler. "Many decisions led to failed levees." USA Today. Nov. 3, 2005. (Aug. 1, 2008)http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-03-levees-failure_x.htm
- Lougheed, Tim. "Raising the Bar for Levees." Environmental Health Perspectives. January 2006. (Aug. 1, 2007)http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1332685