Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Iron Quiz
- How Skyscrapers Work
- How Bridges Work
- How Flintlock Guns Work
- How Sword Making Works
- Why do tools have "Drop Forged" stamped on them? What is drop forging?
- What does "Case Hardened" mean when it's stamped on a piece of metal?
- How Aluminum Works
- How can adding iron to the oceans slow global warming?
More Great Links
- "Hand Tool." Britannica Online Encyclopædia. 2008. (Dec. 22, 2008)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/254115/hand-tool
- Rickard, T.A. "The Use of Meteoric Iron." Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland. 1941. (Jan. 6, 2009) http://www.jstor.org/pss/2844401
- "Steel Works Glossary." American Iron and Steel Institute. 2008. (Dec. 22, 2008)http://www.steel.org/Content/NavigationMenu/LearningCenter/SteelGlossary/Steel_Glossary.htm
- Tripathi, Vibha. "Iron Technology and Its Legacy in India (From the Earliest Times to Early Medieval Period)." Infinity Foundation. (Jan. 6, 2009)http://www.infinityfoundation.com/mandala/t_pr/t_pr_tripa_iron_frameset.htm
- Young, Suzanne M.M. et al. "The earliest use of iron in China." Metals in antiquity. 1999. (Jan. 6, 2009)http://www.staff.hum.ku.dk/dbwagner/earfe/earfe.htm