Author's Note: Does owning a gun change your behavior?
In the fall of 2011 I was sitting on the couch watching TV when I thought I heard someone fall off of our roof. There was a loud bang right outside followed by a man screaming. It was a teen shooting my neighbor across the street in the leg during a botched robbery attempt.
As you'd expect, that incident shook up everyone on our block. Any time I came home after dark I was afraid for my safety, and I definitely thought about arming myself. The thing that stopped me from getting a gun was realizing that in a similar situation, I didn't think I'd be able to use it.
The bullet didn't cause any major damage to my neighbor's leg, and he was up and about again within a few weeks. As soon as he was on the mend, he did get a handgun to protect himself and his wife.
I've always gone back and forth on gun ownership. While I don't think that owning a gun is for me, I can see wanting to protect yourself. Between my neighbor's shooting and getting mugged on our street a few years before that, I definitely know what it's like to feel unsafe in your home and want to empower yourself somehow.
- Anderson, Jon Lee. "Guns and the Limits of Shame." The New Yorker. Dec. 16, 2012. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/guns-and-the-limits-of-shame.html
- Bushman, Brad Ph.D. "The Tradeoffs of Gun Ownership." Psychology Today. Aug. 1, 2012. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/get-psyched/201208/the-tradeoffs-gun-ownership-0
- Bushman, Brad Ph. D. "The Weapons Effect." Psychology Today. Jan. 18, 2013. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/get-psyched/201301/the-weapons-effect
- Callaway, Ewen. "Carrying a gun increases risk of getting shot and killed." New Scientist. Oct. 6, 2009. (March 13, 2013). http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html
- Dahlberg, Linda L. "Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study." American Journal of Epidemiology. Volume 160, Issue 10. Pp. 929-936. Nov. 15, 2004. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
- Harvard School of Public Health. "Firearm Access is a Risk Factor for Suicide." (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/risk/
- Hemenway, David, Ph.D. "Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home." American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. 2011. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.comedsoc.org/images/Risk%20Guns%20at%20Home%20Hemenway%20Am%20J%20Lifestyle%20Med%206-12_copy1.pdf
- Hoyert, Donna L. and Xu, Jiaquan. "Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2011." CDC. Oct. 10, 2012. (March 10, 2013) http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf
- Klinesmith, Jennifer. "Guns, Testosterone, and Aggression." Psychological Science. July 2006. vol 17. no 7. pp 568-571. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://pss.sagepub.com/content/17/7/568.short
- Neyfkah, Leon. "The gun toll we're ignoring: suicide". Boston Globe. Jan. 20, 2013. (March 13, 2013). http://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2013/01/20/the-gun-toll-ignoring-suicide/xeWBHDHEvvagfkRlU3CfZJ/story.html
- Nguyen, Tuan C. "Study: Carrying a gun can make you more paranoid." SmartPlanet. March 23, 2012. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/study-carrying-a-gun-can-make-you-more-paranoid/10875
- Nicholson, Christie. "Men Who Hold a Gun Appear Taller and Stronger." Scientific American. April 14, 2012. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=men-who-hold-a-gun-appear-taller-an-12-04-14
- NRA. "Gun Ownership Rises to All-Time High, Violent Crime Falls to 35-Year Low." NRA-ILA. Sept. 15, 2010. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/fact-sheets/2010/more-guns,-less-crime-again.aspx?s=guns+in+home&st=&ps
- People Magazine. "Mindy McCready Faced Losing her Children Days Before Suicide." Feb. 20, 2013. (Feb. 25, 2013) http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20675310,00.html
- Saltzman, LE. "Weapon involvement and injury outcomes in family and intimate assaults." The Journal of the American Medical Association. June 10, 1992. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1588718
- Sapien, Joaquin. "What Researchers Learned About Gun Violence Before Congress Killed Funding." ProPublica. Feb. 25, 2013. (Feb. 27, 2013) http://www.propublica.org/article/what-researchers-learned-about-gun-violence-before-congress-killed-funding