Lots More Information
Wind turbines harness the power of the wind to run electricity. HowStuffWorks looks at purported health problems surrounding these massive windmills.
Author's Note: 5 Green Methods to Survive the Apocalypse
How might we survive the apocalypse? It's a question we all think about from time to time, equal parts survival instinct and anxiety over our technological and organizational dependence. A world without readily available drinking water, breathable air, electricity, food and Internet is daunting, but rest assured that these necessities won't completely fade away.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be a goner. After all, I'm a professional writer whose key skills involve reaching things on high shelves and painting tiny miniatures. At best, I could maybe talk my way into a position of chief science adviser to a fortified commune -- or high wizard for a wasteland warlord.
"You can't kill me! I wrote 'How Weather Works!'"
We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, it does everyone good to realize how hard-won our modern conveniences really are -- and how tragically scarce they are in many parts of the world.
- Chelsea Green Publishing. "Project: Harvest Rainwater with Sand Filters." June 20, 2008. (April 9, 2012) http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/project-harvest-rainwater-with-sand-filters/
- Chua, Jasmin Malik. "Designer Gas Masks Question Our Psychological Reliance on Luxury Labels." Ecouterre. Nov. 2, 2011. (April 9, 2012) http://www.ecouterre.com/designer-gas-masks-question-our-reliance-on-luxury-labels/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Ecouterre+%28Ecouterre%29
- Ethical Energy. "What Is Passive Solar Energy?" 2012. (April 9, 2012) http://www.ethicalenergy.net/energy-basics/what-is-passive-solar-energy/
- Hudson, Gavin. "6 Green Data Centers that Could Survive a Zombie Apocalypse." Matter Network." Feb 13, 2012. (April 9, 2012) http://featured.matternetwork.com/2012/2/6-green-data-centers-could.cfm
- LaBarre, Suzanne. "Gallery: Apocalypse Now." Popular Science. Aug. 3, 2009. (April 9, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/gear-amp-gadgets/gallery/2009-06/gallery-apocalypse-now
- Peterson, Josh. "Use Sand Filters to Make Rain Water Drinkable." TLC Home. Jan. 11, 2012. https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/sand-filters-rain-water.htm
- Popular Science. "DIY Gas Mask: A PopSci Fan's Step-by-Step Guide." Dec. 15, 2008. (April 9, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-12/diy-gas-mask-popsci-fans-step-step-guide
- Stone, Jerry James. "$5 DIY Gas Mask for Surviving Occupy Wall Street." Treehugger. Nov. 13, 2011. (April 9, 2012) http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/5-diy-gas-mask-surviving-occupy-wall-street.html
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water." March 6, 2012. (April 9, 2012) http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm