China's Pollution Sniffers: Cheat Sheet
Stuff You Need to Know
- A 2006 World Bank survey found that 16 of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in China.
- Officials in China's Guangdong province created a program that trained humans to detect and distinguish between air pollutants using their sense of smell.
- Science isn't fully sure how we smell; a variation of the lock and key hypothesis says quantum vibrations allow odorants to dock in the appropriate receptors.
- NASA created an electronic nose that is sensitive enough to detect a fire before it begins.
Now, test your knowledge with these quizzes!
- Travel the World: China
- The Ultimate Indoor Air Pollution Quiz
- The Ultimate Green Vacation Quiz
- Fact or Fiction: Green Roofs
- Renew, Reuse or Recycle?
Check out these image galleries!