Lots More Information
It's one of those words that might remind you of certain gender-bending musicians from the '80s, but what does it mean today?
Author's Note: 5 True Stories of Twins Separated at Birth
My dad was a twin. My wife has twin brothers. I thought Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger were passably funny in that 1988 film. Other than that, though, my experiences with twins are sadly limited. So what if, tomorrow, my heretofore unknown twin brother calls me up and wants to meet in downtown Atlanta? Well, I guess I'd hope he wasn't better looking than me. I'd be disappointed if he were a jerk. I'd be crushed if he were a Republican. But, heck yeah, I'd sit down for some barbecue and a beer and some good conversation with him. And if he's not up for that, well, then no way he's my kin. Can't be.
- Almasy, Steve and Jack Hannah. "Twins reunited after 78 years." CNN. May 5, 2014. (July 26, 2018) https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/05/living/78-year-old-twins-reunited/index.html
- Baker, K.C. "How a Friend (and Facebook!) Helped Reunite Twin Sisters Separated at Birth: 'We Were Just Gobsmacked'." People. July 24, 2015. (July 26, 2018) https://people.com/celebrity/anais-bordier-found-long-lost-twin-sister-thanks-to-friends-and-social-media/
- Bordier, Anaïs (as told to Antonia Blyth). "Experience: I found my identical twin on YouTube." The Guardian. July 10, 2015. (July 26, 2018) https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/10/experience-found-identical-twin-youtube
- Chen, E. "Twins Reared Apart: A Living Lab." The New York Times. Dec. 9, 1979. (July 26, 2018) https://www.nytimes.com/1979/12/09/archives/twins-reared-apart-a-living-lab.html
- Cosoy, Natalio. "Brotherly love: Colombian switched twins pull together." BBC. Jan. 6, 2016. (July 26, 2018) https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35220779
- Dominus, Susan. "The Mixed-Up Brothers of Bogotá." The New York Times Magazine. July 9, 2015. (July 26, 2018) https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/magazine/the-mixed-up-brothers-of-bogota.html
- Fallon, Kevin. "'Three Identical Strangers': The Disturbing True Story of Triplets Separated at Birth." The Daily Beast. Jan. 19, 2018. (July 26, 2018) https://www.thedailybeast.com/three-identical-strangers-the-disturbing-true-story-of-triplets-separated-at-birth
- McLeod, Saul. "Nature vs. Nurture in Psychology." Simply Psychology. 2015. (July 26, 2018) www.simplypsychology.org/naturevsnurture.html
- Minnesota Center for Twin & Family Research (MCTFR), University of Minnesota. (July 26, 2018) https://mctfr.psych.umn.edu/
- MovieClips Indie. "Twinsters Official Trailer 1 (2015) - Documentary HD." YouTube. March 10, 2015. (July 26, 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y72med6m7ho
- NPR. Transcript: "'Identical Strangers' Explore Nature Vs. Nurture." Radio Diaries. Oct. 25, 2007. (July 26, 2018) https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=15629096
- Richman, Joe. "'Identical Strangers' Explore Nature Vs. Nurture." NPR, Radio Diaries Series. Oct. 25, 2007. (July 26, 2018) https://www.npr.org/2007/10/25/15629096/identical-strangers-explore-nature-vs-nurture
- Segal, N. "Accidental Brothers: The Story of Twins Exchanged at Birth and the Power of Nature and Nurture." St. Martin's Press, 2018.
- Suh-young, Yun. "Reunited twins give hope to adoptees." The Korea Times, Feb. 29, 2016. (July 26, 2018) https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2016/03/316_199318.html
- Sundance Institute. "U.S. Documentary Competition: Three Identical Strangers." YouTube. Dec. 20, 2017. (July 26, 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iEgn_JvRW8
- Venema, Vibeke. "Longest-separated twins find each other." BBC. May 2, 2014. (July 26, 2018) https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27188642
- Winston, Robert. "The Secret Lives of Twins." YouTube. Dec. 27, 2010. (July 26, 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw3S35wGgT8
- Zeitchik, S. "A Sundance documentary about adoption hurls questions at a well-known charity." The Washington Post, Jan. 28, 2018. (July 26, 2018) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/01/28/a-sundance-film-about-adoption-hurls-questions-at-a-well-known-charity/?utm_term=.73c539283425