Lots More Information
Wrangling Mother Nature has successfully saved many lives, even if, a few times, it's literally blown up in our faces. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Can you really fight fire with fire?
- Did the Great Chicago Fire really start with Mrs. O'Leary's cow?
- How do investigators determine if a wildfire was caused by arson?
- How Backpacking Works
- How Camping Works
- How Deforestation Works
- How Fireworks Work
- How Pyromania Works
- How Responsible Off-Roading Works
- How Timber Works
- How Wildfires Work
- What if a wildfire came near my house?
More Great Links
- "Fireworks Illegal on all Public Lands in Idaho." U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Land Management. June 29, 2009. (1/21/2010) http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/info/newsroom/2009/june/fireworks_illegal.html
- "Fireworks Restrictions in Place." U.S. Forest Service. June 27, 2002. (1/21/2010) http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/news/2002/06/020627fireworks.shtml
- Pollick, Michael. "What is a Spark Arrestor?" WiseGeek. (1/21/2010) http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-spark-arrestor.htm
- "NWCG Communicator's Guide for Wildland Fire Management." National Wildfire Coordinating Group. (1/21/2010) http://www.nifc.gov/preved/comm_guide/wildfire/FILES/PDF%20%20FILES/Linked%20PDFs/2%20Wildland%20fire%20overview.PDF
- "Wild & Forest Fire." NOAA Economics. (1/21/2010) http://www.economics.noaa.gov/?goal=weather&file=events/fire/
- SmokeyBear.com Web site. (1/29/20)10 http://www.smokeybear.com/index.asp
- "Wildland Fire -- An American Legacy." U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service. Summer 2000. (1/21/2010) http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fmt/fmt_pdfs/fmn60-3.pdf