Most expensive: Scottish chef Domenico Crolla created the “Pizza Royale 007” (in honor of James Bond) for a fundraiser. It cost 3,000 euros ($4,437) and featured high-end toppings like edible gold, lobster marinated in cognac, champagne-soaked caviar, venison medallions and smoked salmon [source: BBC].
Most extravagant: Though it is hard to top Crolla’s creation, the “Luxury Pizza” at Nino’s Bellissima restaurant in New York City is covered with fresh lobster, crème fraiche, chives and six types of caviar. At $125 per slice and $1,000 per 12-inch pizza, this entree is certainly a delicacy [source: Reuters].
Largest ever made: According to Guinness World Records, this feat was accomplished on Dec. 8, 1990, in Johannesburg, South Africa. The pizza measured 122.7 feet (37.4 meters) in diameter and required 1,102 pounds (500 kilograms) of flour, 1,764 pounds (800 kg) of cheese and 1,984 pounds (900 kg) of tomato puree.
Largest ever made and eaten: Guinness World Records credits the city of Havana, Fla., with hosting this accomplishment on Oct. 11, 1987. The pizza tipped the scales at 44,457 pounds (20,165 kg). The pie was divided into 94,248 slices and devoured by 30,000-plus spectators.
Longest pizza delivery: Lucy Clough of Domino’s Pizza is arguably the world’s most dedicated pizza delivery person. On Nov. 19, 2004, she traveled 10,532 miles (16,950 kilometers) from London to Melbourne, Australia, to set the record for longest pizza delivery, as recognized by Guinness World Records.
To learn more about pizza, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Allen-Mills, Tony. "Pizza Pope Builds a Catholic Heaven." Times Online. 24 Oct 2007. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article735109.ece
- Boyles, Tom. "The Many Different Types of Pizza." Pizza Magazine.com. 25 Oct 2007. http://www.pmq.com/mag/2003winter/pizzatypes.shtml
- "Chef Cooks 2,000 Lira Valentine Pizza." BBC News.com. 14 Feb 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_ west/6358595.stm
- Domino's Pizza. http://www.dominospizza.com
- Fricano's Pizza. http://www.fricanospizza.com/trivia.htm
- A Full Belly. http://www.afullbelly.com
- Gold, Amanda. "Types of Pizza." SFGate.com. 25 Oct 2007. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/04/06/ FDGFTC202L1.DTL
- Guinness World Records. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/
- Lowe, Cliff. "Pizza History." In Mama's Kitchen.com. 25 Oct 2007. http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/pizzahistory.html
- "Meet the $1,000 Pizza." Reuters. 15 Mar 2007. http://www.reuters.com/ article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN1429852020070315
- Papa John's. http://www.papajohns.com
- Phillips, Kyle. "Pizza, Anyone? Certainly, Pizza!" About.com Italian Cuisine. 24 Oct 2007. http://italianfood.about.com/od/breadspizza/a/aa042205_3.htm
- Pizza Hut. http://www.pizzahut.com
- Post, Peggy. "How To Eat Pizza." Good Housekeeping.com. 24 Oct 2007. http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/manners/eat-pizza-oct01
- Weeke, Stephen. "The perfect pizza? Italians agree it's Neapolitan." MSNBC.com. 24 Oct 2007. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5067285