Author's Note: How Biohacking Works
We already live in tandem with machines that enhance memory, information access and communication. Smartphones and portables have already acclimated us, even addicted us, to constant connection, which again raises a long-lingering question: At what point will integrating such devices into our bodies become practical or appealing?
It's the latter question that seems the most relevant. Practicality seems inevitable, but making it seem normal to "cyberize" a healthy human will take some doing. Which raises another question: In giving the future a push, will grinders help desensitize us to the body horror underlying the cyborg? Or will these seemingly frivolous applications, and their biological consequences, have the opposite effect?
- Biba, Erin. "Genome at Home: Biohackers Build Their Own Labs." Wired. Aug.19, 2011. (Aug. 14, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2011/08/mf_diylab/
- Borland, John. "Transcending the Human, DIY Style." Wired. Dec. 30, 2010. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2010/12/transcending-the-human-diy-style/
- Boustead, Greg. "The Biohacking Hobbyist." Seed magazine. Dec. 11, 2008. (Aug. 14, 2014) http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/the_biohacking_hobbyist/
- Brodwin, Erin. "Biohacking Puts the Next Scientific Breakthroughs in Consumers' Hands." Newsweek. July 1, 2014. (Aug. 15, 2014) http://www.newsweek.com/2014/07/04/biohacking-puts-next-scientific-breakthroughs-consumers-hands-261578.html
- Firger, Jessica. "The Brave New World of Biohacking." Al Jazeera America. Oct. 18, 2013. (Aug. 15, 2014) http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/18/the-brave-new-worldofbiohacking.html
- Martin, Glen. "Do-It-Yourself Biology?" California Magazine. Aug. 12, 2014. (Aug. 15, 2014) http://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/just-in/2014-08-12/do-it-yourself-biology-messing-around-dna-increasingly-garage
- Mosher, Dave. "DIY Biotech Hacker Space Opens in NYC." Wired. Dec. 16, 2010. (Aug. 13, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2010/12/genspace-diy-science-laboratory/#slide-575365
- Popper, Ben. "Cyborg America: Inside the Strange New World of Basement Body Hackers." The Verge. Aug. 8, 2012. (Aug. 14, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/3177438/cyborg-america-biohackers-grinders-body-hackers
- Shapiro, Fred R. (Ed.). "The Yale Book of Quotations." Yale University Press. Oct. 30, 2006.
- Stableford, Brian and David Langford. "Cyborgs." The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. London: Gollancz, updated Aug. 21, 2012. (Aug. 14, 2014) http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/cyborgs