Gravity governs the structure of the universe. Test your knowledge of this fundamental force with our gravity quiz!
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Alt, David. Glacial Lake Missoula and Its Humongous Floods. Mountain Press Publishing Company, May 1, 2001.
- Chorlton, Windsor. Planet Earth: Ice Ages. Time-Life Books, 1983.
- Gallant, Roy A. Glaciers. Franklin Watts, September 1999.
- Great Lakes Information Network. “Lake Michigan Facts and Figures.” http://www.great-lakes.net/lakes/ref/michfact.html
- Hoffman, Paul F. and Schrag, Daniel P. “Snowball Earth.” Scientific American, Jan. 2000. http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=00027B74-C59A-1C75-9B81809EC588EF21
- Maasch, Kirk A. “Nova: The Big Chill.” PBS. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ice/chill.html
- Macdougall, Douglas. Frozen Earth: The Once and Future Story of Ice Ages. University of California Press, May 2, 2006
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. “Quick Facts.” http://nsidc.org/glaciers/quickfacts.html
- Paleontological Research Instutition. “Formation of the Finger Lakes.” http://www.priweb.org/ed/finger_lakes/nystate_geo3.html
- Pelto, Mauri S. and Miller, Maynard. “Terminus Behavior of Juneau Icefield Glaciers 1948-2005.” http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/juneau%20icefield.htm
- Ramanujan, Krishna. “Fastest Glacier in Greenland Doubles Speed.” NASA. http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/jakobshavn.htm
- Science Daily. “Antarctic Ice Loss Speeds Up, Nearly Matches Greenland Loss.” http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080123181952.htm
- Science Daily. “Baffin Island Ice Caps Shrink By 50 Percent Since 1950s, Expected To Disappear by Middle of Century.” http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080128113831.htm
- Sengupta, Somini. “Glaciers in Retreat.” New York Times, June 17, 2007. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/science/earth/17glacier.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
- United States Geographical Survey. “Glaciers and icecaps: Storehouses of freshwater.” http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthglacier.html
- Universität Zürich. “Alpine glacier shrinkage stronger than expected.” Nov. 15, 2004. http://www.geo.unizh.ch/~fpaul/sgi/mi_en.pdf
- University of Montana. “Speeding Glaciers: UM researchers study movement of ice rivers.” http://www.umt.edu/urelations/rview/spring06/glaciers.htm
- University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point. “Drumlin.” http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ritter/glossary/a_d/drumlin.html