Waitomo Glowworm Cave (New Zealand)
Waitomo, New Zealand
In New Zealand, music lovers can go underground to experience some of the most memorable performances. The Waitomo Glowworm Caves have hosted musical events due to the system's incredible acoustics.
Specifically, the music venue is The Cathedral, a 60-foot-tall (18-meter) room on the cave's lower level that has hosted the likes of the Vienna Boys' Choir and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa [source: Discover Waitomo]. Its unique acoustics are said to produce an incredibly pure sound.
But that's not actually what the caves are famous for. As the name implies, the Waitomo Glowworm Caves have their own indoor illumination: thousands of Arachnocampa luminosa glowworms. The mosquito-sized creatures are found only in New Zealand and cast a glow over the cave's interior.
Visitors can particularly enjoy the glow during a boat trip down Waitomo River, which runs through the lower level of the cavern.
For more information on caves and related topics, look over the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park. National Park Service.http://www.nature.nps.gov/geology/parks/cave/
- Gunung Mulu National Park. Forest Department of Sarawak, Malaysia.http://www.forestry.sarawak.gov.my/forweb/np/np/mulu.htm
- Lovgren, Stefan. "Giant Crystal Cave's Mystery Solved." National Geographic News. April 6, 2007.http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070406-giant-crystals.html
- Mammoth Cave National Park. GORP.http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_park/ky_mammo.htm
- Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky. U.S. World Heritage Sites. National Park Service.http://www.nps.gov/history/worldheritage/mammoth.htm
- Mulu Caves (Gua Mulu) in Sarawak, Malaysia. Malaysia Central.http://www.malaysiacentral.com/information-directory/attractions-places-to-visit/caves/mulu-caves-gua-mulu-in-sarawak-malaysia/
- O'Hanlon, Larry. "Excavating the World's Basements." Discovery.http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/planet-earth/guide/caves.html
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves. Discover Waitomo.http://www.waitomo.com/glowworm-caves-information.aspx
Many scientists believe that humans influence Earth at a rate so so massive that it's time to change the geologic time scale. HowStuffWorks digs in.