Lots More Information
Many people believe that the number 23 has magical properties. HowStuffWorks looks at the number.
Author's Note: 10 "Harmless Things You Should Wash Your Hands After Touching
As I wrote this article, I kept thinking about my high school job in the sub shop. These were the days before restaurant staff routinely wore gloves, so our hands were constantly in the food. Given that we were all a bunch of teenage dorks who could barely remember to close and lock the back door, much less wash our hands throughout a shift, I'm amazed the place wasn't shut down.
- "10 Ways You're Wrecking Your Immune System." Prevention. December 2011. (July 7, 2013) http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/top-10-worst-habits-your-immune-system/6-you-dont-carry-pen#ixzz2YqumGR2I
- Associated Press. "Study: Hotel Guests Leave Germs, Viruses Behind in Rooms." Fox News. Sept. 29, 2006. (July 7, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/09/29/study-hotel-guests-leave-germs-viruses-behind-in-rooms/#ixzz2YquMqeyn
- Bright, Kelly R., Stephanie A. Boone and Charles P. Gerba. "Occurrence of Bacteria and Viruses on Elementary Classroom Surfaces and the Potential Role of Classroom Hygiene in the Spread of Infectious Diseases." The Journal of School Nursing. Nov. 10, 2009.
- Bryner, Jeanna. "U.S. money contains highest traces of cocaine." NBC News. Aug. 5, 2008. (July 7, 2013) http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26039953/#.UdoSHyh7P2E
- Castillo, Michelle. "Where do germs flourish in your office? Study reveals dirtiest surfaces." CBC News. May 23, 2012. (July 7, 2013) http://www.cbsnews.com/8334-504763_162-57440032-10391704/where-do-germs-flourish-in-your-office-study-reveals-dirtiest-surfaces/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "After you touch ducklings or chicks, wash your hands." (July 7, 2013) http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/resources/salmonella-baby-poultry.pdf
- Chan, Amanda. "Bank Cards, Bills Contaminated With Fecal Bacteria: Study." Huffington Post. Oct. 18, 2012. (July 7, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/bank-card-fecal-bacteria-contaminated-germs_n_1971609.html
- Collins, Jeffrey. "Clemson students find bacteria risk in beer pong." The Houston Chronicle. April 15, 2013. (July 7, 2013) http://www.chron.com/life/healthzone/article/Clemson-students-find-bacteria-risk-in-beer-pong-4435071.php
- Dineen, Cari Wira. "The 8 germiest places in the mall. CNN. Nov. 26, 2011. (July 7, 2013) http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/health/germiest-places-mall
- Hoyle, Brian. "Pathogens Seem To Be Everywhere - Even in Soap Dispensers." American Society for Microbiology. August 2007. (July 7, 2013) http://forms.asm.org/microbe/index.asp?bid=52087
- Kuria, JK, Wahome RG, Jobalamin M, Kariuki SM. "Profile of bacteria and fungi on money coins." East African Medical Journal. April 2009. (July 7, 2013) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20084997
- Roberson, Laura. "4 Surprising Places Germs Hide." April 10, 2012. (July 7, 2013) http://www.menshealth.com/health/call-clean
- Whitcroft, Isla. "The (very) alarming results when one family asked a science lab to test their home for germs." Daily Mail. Aug. 19, 2010. (July 7, 2013) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1303403/The-alarming-results-family-asked-science-lab-test-home-germs.html