World's Biggest Transporter
The world's biggest transport plane was the Antonov AN-225. With a cargo capacity of more than 250 tons, this plane could haul not just one, but three or four military tanks. The plane had a wingspan almost the length of a football field, and its cargo hold could fit 80 cars.
This plane originated to carry the Russian version of the space shuttle. With plans for the shuttle halted, the plane remained grounded from the early 1990s on. The plane underwent restoration and made its first test flight on May 7, 2001. It wound up being destroyed in 2022.
Now we've seen planes that haul everything from the postcard you sent your grandmother to battle tanks. You really can ship anything!
Related HowStuffWorks Links
- How Airports Work
- How Airlines Work
- How Airline Crews Work
- How Black Boxes Work
- How Air Traffic Control Works
- How Customs Works
- How Baggage Handling Works
- How the Federal Aviation Administration Works
- How Airport Security Works
- How Becoming a Pilot Works
- How Airplanes Work
- How Gas Turbine Engines (and Jet Engines) Work
Other Great Links
- Airbus Transport International
- British Airways
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Whither Cargo?
- Air Cargo, Air Freight, Fed-X and UPS Pictures
- Flying Tiger Line - Historical Pictures
- Cargo Loading System Pictures
- Lufthansa Cargo
- Airborne Express
- Boeing: Freighter Fleet
- Air Cargo World's Online Magazine