Lots More Information
A beta test of the game 'ArcheAge' revealed that people may be more helpful than harmful when an apocalypse looms. Find out how at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Science Experiments to Do in the Snow
I spent many childhood winters playing Laura Ingalls, attempting to pour molasses onto snow to make candy -- without realizing that I needed to add sugar and boil to create a more viscous mixture. I may have just realized that, in fact, while writing this article. Just a friendly reminder to introduce children to science before the age of 30.
- Ballisty, Tim. "Cold Weather Experiments." The Weather Channel. Jan. 4, 2010. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/cold-weather-experiments_2010-01-04
- Fixmeasnack.com "Little House Molasses Snow Candy." Jan. 2, 2011. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.fixmeasnack.com/2011/01/little-house-molasses-snow-candy-recipe/
- Freed, Ben. "Frozen bubbles to banana hammers." Michigan Live. Jan. 8, 2014. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/01/who_said_the_polar_vortex_wasn.html
- Libbrecht, Kenneth G. "Is it really true that no two snowflakes are alike?" California Institute of Technology. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/alike/alike.htm
- Steve Spangler Science. "Instant Snow." 2013. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/insta-snow-polymer
- Thompson, Andrea. "Frozen Fun." LiveScience. Jan. 7, 2014. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.livescience.com/42371-cold-weather-science-experiments.html
- Vermette, Laureen. "Expansion and Contraction." University of Manitoba. (Jan. 16, 2014) http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/crystal/Grade%205%20Science.html
- Wise, Jeff. "How to build an igloo." Popular Mechanics. Feb. 24, 2012. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/gonzo/how-to-build-an-igloo
- Younger, Shannan. "Cold weather science projects to make your kids' snow day educational and fun." Chicago Now. Jan. 6, 2014. (Jan. 15, 2014) http://www.chicagonow.com/tween-us/2014/01/cold-weather-science-projects-kids-snow-day/