Lots More Information
Dust from the Sahara makes its way around the world with both positive and not-so-positive consequences.
- Al Arab, Gamal Ezz; Tawfik, Nagah; El Gendy, Reda El; Anwar, Wagida; and Courtright, Paul. "The burden of trachoma in the rural Nile Delta of Egypt: a survey of Menofiya governorate." British Journal of Ophthalmology. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1723800/
- Amplified Bible. "Leviticus 13:2." Bible.com. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Leviticus+13%3A2&version1=45
- Andersson, G.E.; Karlberg, Olof; Canback, Bjorn; and Kurland, Charles G. On the origin of mitochondria: a genomics perspective." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. Jan. 29, 2003. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/358/1429/165
- Aufderheide, Arthur C.; Rodriguez-Martin, Conrado; and Langsjoen, Odin. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Paleopathology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 1998. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://books.google.com/books?id=qubTdDk1H3IC
- Briggs, Katharine Mary. "An Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, and Other Supernatural Creatures." New York: Pantheon Books. 1976.
- Claeson, Mariam, and Waldman, Ronald. "Cholera." Encyclopedia Britannica. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/114078/cholera
- Eremeeva, Marina E. and Dasch, Gregory A. " Rickettsial (Spotted & Typhus Fevers) & Related Infections (Anaplasmosis & Ehrlichiosis)." Travelers' Health. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. July 1, 2011. (Sept. 21, 2011) http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/rickettsial-spotted-and-typhus-fevers-and-related-infections-anaplasmosis-and-ehrlichiosis.htm
- Garrity, George. "Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology." 2nd ed. 2005. New York:Springer.
- Grauer, Anne. President of the Paleopathology Association, Professor at Loyola University in Chicago. Phone Interview, Sept. 13, 2010.
- Hershkovitz, Israel; Donoghue, Helen D.; Minnikin, David E.; Besra, Gurdyal S.; Lee, Oona Y-C; Gernaey, Angela M.; Galili, Ehud; Eshed, Vered; Greenblatt, Charles L.; Lemma, Eshetu; Bar-Gal, Gila Kahila; Spiegelman, Mark. "Detection and Molecular Characterization of 9000-Year-Old Mycobacterium tuberculosis from a Neolithic Settlement in the Eastern Mediterranean." PLoS One. Oct. 15, 2008. (Sept. 26, 2011) http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0003426
- Hippocrates. "On Regimen in Acute Diseases." 400 B.C. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://classics.mit.edu/Hippocrates/acutedis.29.appendix11.html
- Hopkins, Donald R. "The Greatest Killer: Smallpox in History, with a New Introduction." The University of Chicago Press. 2002. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://books.google.com/books?id=z2zMKsc1Sn0C
- Hunt, Patrick. "Alpine Archaeology and Paleopathology: Was Hannibal's Army also decimated by epidemic while crossing the Alps?" Archeolog. http://traumwerk.stanford.edu/archaeolog/2007/05/alpine_archaeology_and_paleopa.html
- Lloyd, Robin. "Bones Reveal Oldest Case of TB." LiveScience. Oct. 14, 2008. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.livescience.com/history/081014-tb-skeleton.html
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality. "Air Pollutant Information." October 2001. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.deq.state.ne.us/Publica.nsf/0/8a5e8d86d507721d06256b97005d88ba/$FILE/01-102.pdf
- Nunn, John Francis. "Ancient Egyptian Medicine." London: British Museum. 1997. (Sept. 21, 2011) http://books.google.com/books?id=WHfEnVU6z8IC
- Papagrigorakis, Manolis J.; Yapijakis, Christos; Synodinos, Philippos N.; and Baziotopoulou-Valavani, Effie. " DNA examination of ancient dental pulp incriminates typhoid fever as a probable cause of the Plague of Athens." International Journal of Infectious Diseases. Vol. 10, Issue 3. pp. 206-214. May 2006. (Sept. 20,2011) http://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712%2805%2900178-5/fulltext
- Quadeer, S.A. "Grattage in the Treatment of Trachoma." British Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol. 37, No. 10. October 1953. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1324215/
- Roberts, Charlotte, President Elect of the Paleopathology Association, Professor University of Durham, UK. Personal Interview, Sept. 12, 2010.
- Rosenthal, Elisabeth. "Girl is First to Survive Rabies Without a Shot." The New York Times. Nov. 25, 2004. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/25/national/25rabies.html
- Ruffer, Marc Armand. "Studies in the Palaeopathology of Egypt." Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. 1921. (Sept. 30, 2011) http://books.google.com/books?id=GyYwAAAAYAAJ
- Rupprecht, Charles E.; Smith, Jean S.; Fekadu, Makonnen; Childs, James E. "The Ascension of Wildlife Rabies: A Cause for Public Health Concern or Intervention?" Federation of American Scientists. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.fas.org/ahead/docs/rabies.htm
- Shah, Sonia. "The Tenacious Buzz of Malaria." The Wall Street Journal. July 10, 2010. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111704575354911834340450.html
- Siniscal, Arthur A. "Trachoma in Missouri." Archives of Ophthamology. Vol 42, No. 4. pp. 422-437. October 1949.
- University. "History of Leprosy." (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2005/Leprosy/history.htm
- Thucydides. "The History of the Peloponnesian War." Translated by Richard Crawley. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.utexas.edu/courses/classicalarch/readings/thucydides_plague.html
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "The History of Malaria, an Ancient Disease." Feb. 8, 2010. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/history/
- The World Bank. "Trachoma." (Sept. 20, 2011) http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTHEALTHNUTRITIONANDPOPULATION/EXTPHAAG/0,,contentMDK:20799909~menuPK:2164083~pagePK:64229817~piPK:64229743~theSitePK:672263,00.html
- Webb, Stephen. "Prehistoric Eye Disease (trachoma?) in Australian Aborigines."
- American Journal of Physical Anthropology Vol. 81, No.1. pp.91-100. January 1990.
- World Health Organization. "Global epidemics and impact of cholera." (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.who.int/topics/cholera/impact/en/index.html
- World Health Organization. "Smallpox." 2001. (Sept. 20, 2011) http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/smallpox/en/