Author's Note: Could you dig a hole all the way to the Earth’s mantle?
As a child in the 1960s, I loved reading comic books, and one of my favorites was the Classics Illustrated version of Jules Verne's novel "Journey to the Center of the Earth." I particularly was fascinated with the cover illustration, in which the characters are floating in the subterranean sea passage that Verne imagined and are under attack by prehistoric sea monsters. The vividness of that image contributed to my disappointment a few years later, when I learned in elementary school science class that the Earth was filled with molten rock, which seemed considerably less interesting.
- American Museum of Natural History. "Ultra-High-Pressure Experimentalist Who Studies the Deep Earth." Amnh.org. Undated. (Nov. 4, 2012) http://www.amnh.org/explore/resource-collections/earth-inside-and-out/ultra-high-pressure-experimentalist
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Chemical element—the Earth's Mantle." Britannica.com. Undated. (Nov. 5, 2012) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/108636/chemical-element/81230/The-Earths-core#toc81231
- Cooper, Charles. "Journey Planned to the Center of the Earth." Cbsnews.com. March 28, 2011. (Nov. 2, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20047788-501465.html
- Flatow, Ira. "Drilling to the Mantle of the Earth." Npr.org. March 25, 2011. (Nov. 2, 2012) http://www.npr.org/2011/03/25/134855888/Drilling-To-The-Mantle-Of-The-Earth
- Jackson, Ian. "The Earth's Mantle: Composition, Structure and Evolution." Cambridge University Press. 1998. (Nov. 5, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=RlixwcPYF2AC&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22earth's+mantle%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=V9WXUKKeB8m10AHdvYDwCA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA
- Kaufman, Marc. "Space Odyssey: Scientists go to the extremes to define the secrets of extraterrestrial life." Washington Post. Feb. 27, 2011. (Nov. 7, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/18/AR2011021805058.html?nav=emailpage
- Matsu'ura, Mitsuhiro. "Reproducing Core-Mantle Dynamics and Predicting Crustal Activities Through Advanced Computing." Journal of the Earth Simulator. April 2004. (Nov. 5, 2012) http://www.jamstec.go.jp/esc/publication/journal/jes_vol.1/pdf/JES1-4.2-matsuura.pdf
- National Academy of Sciences. "Project Mohole: 1958-1966." Nas.edu. 2005. (Nov. 5, 2012) http://www.nas.edu/history/mohole/
- Osman, Jheni. "Mission to the mantle: Drilling through Earth's crust." New Scientist. July 3, 2012. (Nov. 3, 2012)http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428710.200-mission-to-the-mantle-drilling-through-earths-crust.html?full=true
- ScienceDaily. "Mapping the Moho With GOCE." Sciencedaily.com. March 9, 2012. (Nov. 4, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120309103810.htm
- ScienceDaily. "New Understanding of Earth's Mantle Beneath the Pacific." Sciencedaily.com. March 22, 2012. (Nov. 4, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120322142159.htm
- Teagle, Damon and Ildefonse, Benoit. "Journey to the Mantle of the Earth." Nature. March 24, 2011. (Nov. 2, 2012) http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n7339/full/471437a.html
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). "Mantle (earth)." Usgs.gov. Undated. (Nov. 4, 2012) http://www.usgs.gov/science/science.php?term=690
- Yirka, Bob. "Scientists plan to drill all the way down to the Earth's mantle." Phys.org. March 25, 2011. (Nov. 2, 2012) http://phys.org/news/2011-03-scientists-drill-earth-mantle.