Whether featuring traditional, shambling zombies or a newer, smarter breed, most movies and games agree on how to survive a zombie attack:
- Don't panic.
- Get away from the zombies. Most of the time, you can move faster than they can.
- Gather food, water, an emergency radio, flashlights and weapons, and retreat to a secure location.
- If possible, retreat to a shopping mall, general retail store or other location where you'll have easy access to food and supplies.
- Stay away from densely populated areas, where the infestation is likely to be heaviest.
- Barricade all entrances and stay put at all costs.
- Don't get surrounded or backed into a corner or other enclosed space.
- Remember that anyone bitten or killed by a zombie will become a threat to you and your party.
- Wait patiently for rescue and make long-term preparations for your survival.
Also, avoid common mistakes like:
- Sheltering in a vehicle to which you do not have the keys
- Leaving blades, cudgels or other basic weapons out for zombies to find
- Teaching zombies how to use firearms
- Giving your only weapon to anyone who is hysterical
- Retreating to a basement or cellar without taking supplies with you
- Getting into an elevator in a building infested with zombies
- Letting personal feelings and arguments get in the way of survival
Follow the links below for lots more information about Haiti, voodoo, zombies and related topics.
More Great Links
- Allen, W.H. "Stories of the Walking Dead." Severn House, 1986.
- Davis, Wade. "The Serpent and the Rainbow." Simon and Schuster, 1986.
- Davis, Wade. "Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of Haitian Zombies." U of North Carolina Press, 1988.
- Hurston, Zora Neale. "Tell My Horse." Harper Perennial (reissue), 1990.
- "Night of the Living Dead" (1968)
- "Night of the Living Dead" (1990)
- "Dawn of the Dead" (1978)
- "Day of the Dead" (1985)
- "28 Days Later"
- "Shaun of the Dead"
- Dennett, Daniel C. "The Unimagined Preposterousness of Zombies." http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/papers/unzombie.htm
- Dundas, Zach. "Feel the Loa, Taste the Vision Vine." Mumblage Archives. http://www.mumblage.com/wadedavis.html
- Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency http://www.fvza.org/index.html
- Flanagan, Owen and Thomas Polger. "Zombies and the Function of Consciousness." Journal of Consciousness Studies, vol. 2, no. 4., 1995. http://homepages.uc.edu/~polgertw/Polger-ZombiesJCS.pdf
- The I Love Zombies Page http://www.zombiejuice.com/
- The Voudou Page http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html
- West African Voodoo http://www.mamiwata.com/
- "When Zombies Take Over, How Long till the Electricity Fails?" The Straight Dope, June 15, 2004. http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mzombiepower.html
- Zeus, Dr. "How to Survive a Zombie Attack." Kuro5hin, April 19, 2005. http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/4/18/153047/155
- Zombie Anti-Defamation League http://p.ookee.com/
- Zombie Warning http://www.geocities.com/zombiewarning2000/
- Zombies http://zombies.monstrous.com/
- "Zombis May Not Be what they're Reputed to Be." Doctor's Guide, October 10, 1997. http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/3D806.htm