Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Disappearing Lake Quiz
- How an Ice Hotel Works
- How Avalanches Work
- Harrowing Survival Stories
- How to Survive the Freezing Cold
- Taken by the Sea: 11 Real-life Shipwrecks
- How Water Works
- How the Earth Works
- How Radar Works
- How the U.S. Coast Guard Works
- Exactly what happens if we run out of water?
- How can a lake simply disappear?
More Great Links
- Bindschaldler, Robert. "Alaskan storm cracks giant iceberg to pieces in faraway Antarctica." NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Oct. 2, 2006. http://www.physorg.com/news79026480.html
- Bridges, Andrew. "Enormous Icebergs Imperil Penguins Heading For Antarctica Breeding Grounds." Space.com, Dec. 28, 2001. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/penguins_berg_011228.html
- Bryant, Edward. Natural Hazards. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Collins, Paul. "The Floating Island." Cabinet Magazine, Summer 2002. http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/7/floatingisland.php
- Durkin, Pat. "Keeping Tabs on Icebergs." National Geographic News, Dec. 26, 2000. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2000/12/1226_iceberg.html
- Eaton, John P. & Haas, Charles A. Titanic: Destination Disaster : The Legends and the Reality. W. W. Norton & Company, 1987.
- Hult, John L. & Ostrander, Neill C. "Antarctic Icebergs as a Global Fresh Water Resource." http://www.rand.org/pubs/reports/R1255/
- International Ice Patrol. "International Ice Patrol (IIP) Frequently Asked Questions." http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/iip/FAQ/FAQ_Icebergs.shtml
- International Ice Patrol. "International Ice Patrol Mission." http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/iip/General/mission.shtml
- International Ice Patrol. "Photo Gallery - Iceberg Destruction Experiments." http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/iip/Photo_Gallery/Iceberg_Destruction_Experiments_1.shtml
- Simon, Seymour. Icebergs and Glaciers. HarperTrophy, 1987.
- Stone, Gregory S. Ice Island: The Expedition to Antarctica's Largest Iceberg. Bunker Hill Publishing, 2003.
- "Ferry Abandoned." Charleston Daily Mail, June 3, 1977.
- "Mystery of Rare Emerald Icebergs Is Solved." New York Times, May 4, 1993. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7DF133EF937A35756C0A965958260