Estudio Barozzi Veiga, or EBV, isn't a person -- it's a partnership. Fabrizio Barozzi and Alberto Veiga founded their firm in 2004. Barozzi is an Italian native, and Veiga is Spanish. They're both currently professors at the International University of Cataluña (UIC) in Spain. When you visit their Web site and look at the images of their projects, you'll be struck by the fact that most of the photos are black and white. That's a conscious decision on the part of Veiga and Barozzi -- form and shape are the most important factors to them.
In 2011, EBV's design was chosen to replace the building for the museum of fine arts in Lausanne, Switzerland, known as the Musee Cantonale des Beaux-Arts. For this particular project, they state that "the relationship defined between the buildings and the public space is more important than the buildings themselves" while also "maintaining an emotional and symbolic relation with the past." It runs parallel to the railroad tracks, defining the space and creating a public area. In contrast to its monolithic, stark exterior, the museum incorporates two different elements of the original 1911 building -- the facade of its central nave as well as an exterior door.
Author's Note: 10 Innovative Architects to Watch
Like I mentioned at the beginning, architecture is not in my background, nor is it a particular interest of mine. But when looking at the work of some of today's most innovative architects, I can still be blown away by their creativity. I always figured that architecture, no matter how beautiful, ultimately has to be functional. But architects like Junya Ishigami made me question what "functional" really means. Does it mean "habitable"? I'm not sure anymore, but I do know it strengthens my belief that architecture can certainly be art.
- o2 Architecture. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://o2arch.com/LANCE.html
- Alejandro Aravena. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://alejandroaravena.com
- Architectural Digest. "2010 AD 100: Annabelle Selldorf." (June 10, 2012) 2012. http://www.architecturaldigest.com/architects/100/annabelle_selldorf/annabelle_selldorf_profile
- Architectural Record. "Design Vanguard: Alejandro Aravena." 2006. (June 10, 2012) http://archrecord.construction.com/designVanguard/designVanguardUpdates/alejandroAravena.asp
- Architecture Canada. "Young Architect Award -- 2012 Recipient." 2010. http://www.raic.org/honours_and_awards/awards_young/2012/recipient_e.htm
- Borgenicht, Nicole. "Bionic Houses -- Little Tuscany House." Palm Springs Life. May 2010. (June 10, 2012) http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Springs-Life/May-2010/Bionic-Houses-Little-Tuscany-House/
- The Cool List. "Kanagawa Institute of Technology's Glass Building."June 30, 2010. (June 11, 2012) http://www.thecoolist.com/kanagawa-institute-of-technologys-glass-building/
- Delancey Underground. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://delanceyunderground.org/
- Design Boom. "Jun'ya Ishigami Interview." 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/12187/junya-ishigami-interview.html
- Estudio Barozzi Veiga. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://www.barozziveiga.com/base.html
- Foderaro, Lisa W. "Inspired by High Line, Park Is Envisioned With Sights Set Low." The New York Times. Nov. 22, 2011. (June 11, 2012)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/nyregion/high-line-inspires-plans-for-park-under-delancey-street.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
- Hoelterhoff, Manuela. "Annabelle Selldorf Designs Sky Parking, Recycling Center." Bloomberg News. May 5, 2012. (June 11, 2012)http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-02/annabelle-selldorf-designs-sky-parking-recycling-center.html
- Interior Design. "Annabelle Selldorf." Sandow Media. 2011. (June 10, 2012)http://www.interiordesign.net/hof/11274-Annabelle_Selldorf.php
- Lateral Architecture. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://lateraloffice.com/master.html
- NYC Design. "Design Award Recipients 2009." 2009. (June 11, 2012) http://www.nyc.gov/html/artcom/html/awards/awards_2009_recycling.shtml
- Maerkle, Andrew. "Architecture in Exhibition: Jun'ya Ishigami." Art It Magazine. Sept. 1, 2010. (June 11, 2012) http://www.art-it.asia/u/admin_ed_feature_e/C4gruKpzGtOEL8hmvVw3
- Moore, Rowan. "Jun'ya Ishigami: Architecture as Air." The Observer. July 2, 2011. (June 10, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/jul/03/junya-ishigami-serpentine-pavilion-zumthor
- Netto, David. "The Form Mistress." The Wall Street Journal. April 28, 2011. (June 11, 2012) http://www.architecturaldigest.com/architects/100/annabelle_selldorf/annabelle_selldorf_profile
- Pearson, Clifford A. "NORD (Robin Lee/Alan Pert)." Architectural Record. Dec. 11, 2011. (June 10, 2012) http://archrecord.construction.com/features/designvanguard/2011/NORD.asp
- Preston. "Palm Springs LEED Platinum Contender." Jetson Green. March 29, 2009. (June 11, 2012) http://www.jetsongreen.com/2009/03/palm-springs-leed-platinum-contender.html
- Philippe Rahm Architectes. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://www.philipperahm.com
- Robin Lee Architecture. 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://robinleearchitecture.com/wexford/
- Sebastian J. "Bleu/Estudio Barozzi Veiga." Arch Daily. June 13, 2011. (June 11, 2012) http://www.archdaily.com/143405/bleu-estudio-barozzi-veiga/
- Vitra. "Alejandro Aravena." 2012. (June 10, 2012) http://www.vitra.com/en-us/home/designers/alejandro-aravena/
- The Cool List. "The Essence of the 21st Century: Jun'ya Ishigami." 2012. (June 9, 2012) http://www.thecoolist.com/kanagawa-institute-of-technologys-glass-building/
- White, Mason. "Cliffside Slips." University of Toronto John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Design. 2007. (June 10, 2012) http://www.daniels.utoronto.ca/people/faculty/projects/cliffside_slips
- Zara, Janelle. "The Low-Down on the 'Low Line': Architect James Ramsey Explains His Vision For an Underground LES Park." Blouin Artinfo. Feb. 28. 2012. (June 11, 2012)http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/761389/the-low-down-on-the-low-line-architect-james-ramsey-explains-his-vision-for-an-underground-les-park
- Zachs, Steven. "Jeanne Gang: The Art of Nesting." Metropolis Mag. June 2008. (June 10, 2012)http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20080618/jeanne-gang-the-art-of-nesting
How will the future of architecture change the way we live? Learn about the future of architecture and how it might change the way we live.