Author's Note: How big can hail get (and how is that even possible)?
Apparently, back in medieval Europe, would-be weather modifiers rang church bells and fired cannons into oncoming thunderclouds in their attempts to disrupt oncoming hail. Some skeptical scientists maintain that cloud seeding with silver iodide is little better than those early methods. Not living in a hail-ridden region, I had no idea how destructive this form of precipitation can be. Now that I do, it makes more sense that people throw whatever they can at the sky to stop it, even if those efforts come up short.
More Great Links
- CBC News. "Calgary hail shrunk by cloud-seeding planes." July 14, 2010. (July 21, 2015) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-hail-shrunk-by-cloud-seeding-planes-1.889680
- National Severe Storms Laboratory. "Severe Weather 101: Hail Basics." National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration. (July 21, 2015) http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/hail/
- Sheremata, Davis. "Shooting for the clouds." Canadian Geographic. July/August 1998. (July 21, 2015) http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/ja98/feature_hailstorms.asp
- Smith, Keith. "Environmental Hazards: Assessing Risk and Reducing Disaster." Routledge. 2004. (July 21, 2015) https://books.google.ca/books?id=t_Dinlc-mlEC&pg=PA155&lpg=PA155&dq=medieval+hail+suppression&source=bl&ots=kdVy4vGMQ1&sig=R37UZASd5fec-5YJtzQYET9MwVY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMImI2O7bfsxgIVSPceCh1r6g7Z#v=onepage&q=medieval hail suppression&f=false
- Volmers, Eric. "Documentary explores Alberta's status as world capital of destructive hail." Calgary Herald. July 31, 2013. (July 21, 2015) http://www.calgaryherald.com/Documentary+explores+Alberta+status+world+capital+destructive+hail/8739181/story.html