Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Your Brain Works
- Brain Quiz
- Brain Image Gallery
- Top 10 Myths About the Brain
- Are teenage brains really different from adult brains?
- Is the human brain still evolving?
- Top 5 Unsolved Brain Mysteries
- Why are people's brains different sizes?
- Do men and women have different brains?
- Is emotional intelligence a better indicator of brain health than IQ?
- Is morality located in the brain?
- How Brain Mapping Works
More Great Links
- Diefenbach, Gretchen J., et al. "Portrayal of Lobotomy in the Popular Press, 1935-1960." Journal of the History of the Neurosciences, 1999, Vol. 8.http://facstaff.unca.edu/ddiefenb/lobotomy.html
- Dully, Howard. "My Lobotomy." Crown Publishers, 2007.
- "Egas Moniz: Biography." Nobel Lectures, Physiology or Medicine 1942-1962, Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1964.http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1949/moniz-bio.html
- Laurence, William L. "Lobotomy banned in Soviet as cruel." New York Times, August 22, 1953. ProQuest Historical Newspapers 1851-2005.
- Ozarin, Lucy. "The AMA's 1930 Survey of Mental Hospitals." Psychiatric News, June 7, 2002, Vol 37, Number 11.http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/37/11/13-b
- "'My Lobotomy': Howard Dully's Journey." All Things Considered, NPR, November 16, 2005.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5014080
- PBS American Experience: The Lobotomisthttp://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/lobotomist/
- Shutts, David. "Lobotomy: Resort to the Knife." Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1982.
- Toomey, Christine and Steven Young. "Mental Cruelty." The Sunday Times, February 19, 2006.
- Turner, Treavor. "Chlorpromazine: unlocking psychosis." British Medical Journal, January 6, 2007, Volume 334 (supplement 1).http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/334/suppl_1/s7
- Valenstein, Elliot S. "Great and Desperate Cures." Basic Books, 1986.
- Vertosick, Frank T. "Lobotomy's back -- controversial procedure is making a comeback." Discover, October 1997.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n10_v18/ai_19758746/pg_1