- Net Capacity: 7,965 megawatts
- Location: Niigata-Ken, Japan
- Number of Reactors: 7
- Output (2010): 24,626.913 gigawatt-hours
Japan's Kashiwazaki-Kariwa reactors, which were completed in 1997, won't break any records for individual output, but the combined rated net capacity of its seven reactors is uncontested at 7,965 megawatts. That's enough nuclear power to provide nearly 3 percent of Japan's total electricity [source: World Nuclear Association].
In terms of energy output in 2010, Kashiwazaki-Kariwa drastically underachieved. Delivering 24,626.913 gigawatt-hours, the facility was the least productive power station on the list. However, the power plant has been recovering from the magnitude 6.8 earthquake that struck in July 2007. The earthquake caused extensive damage, including fires and radiation leaks, though many expected the damage to be much worse.
Following the disaster, most of the reactors at Kashiwazaki-Kariwa remained offline as regulators inspected the facility. In 2010, only three of the seven reactors were operating at full capacity. As of August 2011, four reactors were in operation, while three were still undergoing regular inspection. With the Fukushima Daiichi closure, a fully operating Kashiwazaki-Kariwa will be a welcome power source for meeting Japan's electricity consumption.
For more information on nuclear reactors and nuclear power, look over the links on the following page.
- Alfred, Randy. "Dec. 2, 1942: Nuclear Pile Gets Going; Dec. 2, 1957: Nuclear Power Goes Online." Wired. Dec. 2, 2008. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/12/dayintech_1202
- Casey, Michael. "Asia has appetite for nuclear energy" Associated Press. Updated July 11, 2006. (December 2011) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13803439/ns/world_news-world_environment/t/asia-has-appetite-nuclear-energy/
- Daly, John. "Water Shortages Threatening France's Nuclear Reactor Complex" Oil Price. June 16, 2011. (November 2011) http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/Nuclear-Power/Water-Shortages-Threatening-France-s-Nuclear-Reactor-Complex.html
- Department of Radiation Protection "Convention on Nuclear Safety" Fifth review meeting of the contracting parties 2011. (November 2011) http://www.ms.public.lu/fr/activites/radioprotection/coop-nat-internationale/rp-rapport-national-cns-2011.pdf
- IAEA PRIS. "Power Reactor Information System" (November 2011) http://www.iaea.org/programmes/a2/index.html
- KU Institute for Policy & Social Research "Electricity Consumption by State". Kansas Statistical Abstract Enhanced Online Edition, Section 10: Energy and Natural Resources. (accessed November 2011) http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/energy/18ener7.pdf
- Luxemburger Wort. "Cattenom poses 'unacceptable risk'" Nov. 25, 2011. (November 2011) http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/en/luxembourg/articles/2011/11/168614/index.php
- Power Technology. "Bruce Power Geneerating Station, Toronto." (November 2011) http://www.power-technology.com/projects/brucepowergenerating/
- Power Technology. "Kashiwazaki-Kariwa, Japan." (December 2011) http://www.power-technology.com/projects/kashiwazaki/
- Power Technology. "Yonggwang Units 5 and 6, Other." (December 2011) http://www.power-technology.com/projects/yonggwang/
- Seine-Maritime Economic Development Agency. "Our major industries." (November 2011) http://www.sme76.fr/sme-territoire-poles-detail-gb.php?id_activite=5
- Solar One. "Electricity in NYC!" 2008. (November 2011) http://solar1.org/http:/solar1.org/uploads/electricy_in_nyc.pdf
- The World Bank. "Electric power consumption (kWh)." (December 2011) http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH
- Tokyo Electric Power Company, Inc. "Implementation status of the immediate countermeasures against the emergency at Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station (Summary)." Nov. 11, 2011. (November 2011) http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/betu11_e/images/111111e13.pdf
- Tokyo Electric Power Company. Press Release "Commencement of Regular Inspection for Unit-1 of Kashiwazaki Kariwa Nuclear Power Station." Aug. 5, 2011. (December 2011) http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11080503-e.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Fukushima Accident Information Paper." (November 2011) http://www.world-nuclear.org/fukushima/japanese_tohoku_earthquake.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Nuclear Power in Japan." November 2011. (November 2011) http://world-nuclear.org/info/inf79.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Nuclear Power in South Korea." Oct. 28, 2011. (December 2011) http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf81.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Nuclear Power in the Wold Today." February 2011. (November 2011) http://world-nuclear.org/info/inf01.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Nuclear Power in Ukraine." Oct. 21, 2011. (December 2011) http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf46.html
- World Nuclear Association. "Nuclear Power Plants and Earthquakes." November 2011. (November, 2011) http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf18.html
- World Nuclear News. "French nuclear plant reaches landmark." Nov. 2, 2010. (November 2011) http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/C-French_reactor_reaches_generation_landmark-0211104.html
- World Nuclear News. "Japanese nuclear generation dwindles." Nov. 28, 2011. (November 2011) http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS-Japanese_nuclear_generation_dwindles-2811115.html
- World Nuclear News. "Massive earthquake hits Japan." March 11, 2011. (November 2011) http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/newsarticle.aspx?id=29616&terms=fukushimapercent20daini
- World Nuclear News. "Ohi 3 completes initial stress test." Oct. 31, 2011. (November 2011) http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/newsarticle.aspx?id=31109&terms=ohi
Solar panel highways are explained in this section. Learn about solar panel highways.