WHAT'S INSIDE: FLIGHT
Explore These Topics:
- How much fuel does an international plane use for a trip?
- Can you explain pressurized airplane cabins?
- Why doesn't the exhaust in a jet engine come out the front?
- Do commercial jets have locks on the doors and ignition keys?
- How does an oxygen canister on an airplane work? How can heat generate oxygen?
Why would a pilot ever want to eject an airplane's fuel intentionally? And why would it happen during a flight? Although it sounds alarming, a fuel dump is a safe procedure.
The Martin Model 130 China Clippers were four-engine, all-metal flying boats that used an innovative air-filled sponson for stability on the water. Learn more about these noisy planes that 1930s passengers nevertheless considered quite luxurious.