When flushing the toilet in a passenger airplane, I'm amazed by the huge noise it makes -- like a powerful vacuum cleaner. Can you explain what makes this noise?
WHAT'S INSIDE: FLIGHT
Explore These Topics:
- How much fuel does an international plane use for a trip?
- How does an oxygen canister on an airplane work? How can heat generate oxygen?
- Why do those long, white clouds form behind jets flying high overhead?
- Do commercial jets have locks on the doors and ignition keys?
- How does the toilet in a commercial airliner work?
More To Explore
You Might Also Like
The gigantic, ubiquitous Boeing 747 transport symbolizes the most important aspects of progress in civil aviation: the democratization and globalization of travel. Read about the challenges and successes that Boeing had with their new 747 airplane.
It's the largest passenger jet ever built -- so huge that airports have to be redesigned to accommodate it. Find out just how big the A380 is and what this type of craft means for the future of air travel.